Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Most Dangerous Thing...

I follow Seth Godin's incredible blog daily. He referenced a new "micro-magazine" called 'Fear.less', a new web publication that tells stories of people who overcome fear and live in success. Stories of this kind have always fascinated me; how an individual can chosen to move past the fear that cripples the large majority of humanity, and found that by simply doing the things that they feared, they became successful.

Though I can't remember where I heard it, I have long remembered a quote that has stuck with me for years: to overcome fear, act. Don't just sit there worrying about what could go wrong. All of the planning, thinking, deciding, etc., in the world won't move you forward past the fear until you do the one thing that will: ACT! Do something!

For me, it was having the courage to start performing. While I have practiced, rehearsed, and planned for years, I was fearful about whether people would like what I do. I finally came to a crossroads where I had to decide: do I continue doing what I've been doing and never perform, or do I just put myself out there, become vulnerable, and do the thing?

I'll keep you posted on performance dates as they come...

No comments:

Post a Comment